Union Springs Presbyterian Church is a congregation of the Presbyterian Church (USA). The Church was organized July 23, 1853 with 19 charter members. The present church building was erected in 1883. During the past 167 years this church has been served by 27 pastors. Our sanctuary is located at 203 East Hardaway Avenue in Union Springs, Alabama.

What We Believe

“In gratitude to God, empowered by the Spirit, we strive to serve Christ in our daily tasks and to live holy and joyful lives, even as we watch for God’s new heaven and new earth praying, ‘Come Lord Jesus.’”
From “A Brief Statement of Faith,” PC (USA) Book of Confessions. For the full text of this confession of faith, click on this link: www.presbyterianmission.org/what-we-believe/brief-statement-of-faith

Reformed Theology

All believers in Jesus Christ are saints, citizens of the Kingdom of Heaven, through the Grace of God and the saving Blood of the Lamb.

All believers in Jesus Christ may approach God directly in prayer through Jesus Christ…we are the Priesthood of all Believers!

Presbyterians trace their history to the 16th century and the Protestant Reformation. Our heritage, and much of what we believe, began with the French lawyer John Calvin (1509-1564), whose writings crystallized much of the Reformed thinking that came before him.

Calvin did much of his writing from Geneva, Switzerland. From there, the Reformed movement spread to other parts of Europe and the British isles.

Many of the early Presbyterians in America came from England, Scotland, and Ireland. The first American Presbytery was organized at Philadelphia in 1706. The first General Assembly was held in the same city in 1789. The first Assembly was convened by the Rev. John Witherspoon, the only minister to sign the Declaration of Independence.

For more about the history and theology of the Presbyterian Church (USA), click on this link: www.presbyterianmission.org/what-we-believe/


William Sauser
Lay Pastor
Jane Padgett
Barbara McLaurine


Anderson Hembree
Wendy Hubbard
Leigh Moorer

Church History

1853 – 1953
1953 – 1978
1978 – 2003
1997 – 2020